Thursday, February 1, 2007

Outlets for Writing

I have been working at writing more. I find it helps immensely in spotting mistakes of various kinds that I tend to make, and also in seeing areas where I need to put in more work.

Writing for blogs is one outlet I use. I often am just calling attention to a website or an article, though, and so I quote a lot. Note to self: write more of your own ideas.

Some of the other things I do, although at this stage they are only for my own perusal, are writing poetry, essays, and novels. The novels need a lot more work on the plots. I also tend to explain too much up front, and there goes the suspense and interest. Those are the sorts of things that it helps a writer to become aware of so that those problems can be overcome. Sometimes I overuse a word. I also see things that I do well--little bits of dialogue or a humorous scene that really comes together. These things give me encouragement.

Writing as much as possible gives me a lot of insight, both good and bad, and I think it is the chief way to learn to write well. Like anything else, action has to step in and provide the experience needed to progress.

Practice makes perfect, they say, and so I practice.

One problem with the blogs is that I haven't formed a strong enough idea of what direction I want to take them in. Another is that there isn't enough variety in the types and contents of the posts. However, I enjoy them and feel that I will gradually improve.

I sometimes wish I had more time to write, but at the same time, a well-rounded life makes a more interesting writer. At least in theory!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that I look back at what I write and think of ways I could have fleshed out a little more with added details. I notice that I do not give much visual description. Partly that is purposeful as when someone is of a different race as is sometimes the case in my life experiences, I do not want to highlight that. I think we need to be people first. But people may feel that is not accurate. However, I gave no visual description either way.

I also know a pattern of using the same words or phrases.

In regards to paraphrasing quotes back when I wrote papers in school, I found that I had the worst time. I always obsessed whether my changes would mean the same. I think it might be indicative of a learning disability. I really admire people who can paraphrase well and also those who can work in quotes seamlessly. I do much better if I am just writing from a body of knowledge that I have rather than a research paper.

Mary A said...

Barb, I think that we just have to try different things as we write to see what works. You mentioned about visual description, and that gets to be something you just have to try to see what works with your writing. But isn't it fun to practice and experiment?!

Anonymous said...

It is fun! I really enjoy the process.