Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Christian Guide to Fantasy

I have always enjoyed fantasy novels--you know, like The Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter books. There are many others, of course. And fairy tales are windows into the world of fantasy that we have all experienced in our childhood, at least.

I have discovered an interesting site about fantasy writing from a Christian viewpoint. It is called The Christian Guide to Fantasy. It hasn't been updated for about 3 1/2 years, but there are still some interesting articles there. Visit the "Table of Contents" page to see what's there.

I was particularly interested in a paper called "The Definition, Development and Defense of Political Fantasy" in which Emily C. A. Snyder writes about using politics as a theme in a fantasy novel.

Another page you will enjoy is the "Glossary" which defines terms commonly used in referring to fantasy writing.

If you are interested in writing fantasy, you will find some useful material at this site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not into the genre of fantasy too much. I liked it as a child. However, I think that I need to cultivate that area to reach a high level of whimsy in my fun poems.

Mary A said...

Barb, that might indeed add a good level of whimsy to your fun poems. Even just reading fairy tales occasionally, and not feeling like you have to read long fantasy sagas if you don't care for them, could be fun and useful to your writing. Also, fables like Aesop's. At any rate, you'd have fun trying it out!!