Saturday, July 14, 2007

Reflections

Mid-July and we have already surpassed our normal average yearly rainfall this year. It's very green here, with accents of color from the blooming flowers. The birds and insects are out in full force, living their lives with enthusiasm.

I find that I don't remember the identities of many plants and animals that I used to know when I lived in the country. Still, a memory can always be refreshed with the help of a field guide or two. That is a good thing if I want to write about nature!

I splurged this morning on Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape edited by Barry Lopez. It is something of a nature dictionary and promises to be interesting reading. Thanks, Anna Mills, for recommending this book!

Writing is a heady mixture of reading and studying, writing, and experiencing life. It doesn't get any better than this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sense a little humor writing in your your sample of nature writing here....birds and insects living their lives with enthusiasm. :)

Mary A said...

Barb, yes, a little humor there! Overly enthusiastic birds and insects can be annoying! But it is fun to watch them. :D