Saturday, August 4, 2007

Research and Writing

It amazes me how much research you can do at home on the internet. There are dictionaries and encyclopedias galore. In addition, you can do a search on any topic that interests you. You can find websites on favorite authors and websites of book reviews on your favorite type of reading. There are websites about writing and about literary criticism and all sorts of things. I try to put links to some of my favorites in my sidebar, but I have far more sites bookmarked on my browser page.

I think it helps solidify your learning about any subject if you write notes or essays or articles about what you are learning. There's something about writing it down that helps you to remember and also to understand what you've read.

I enjoy learning about all the different types of writing there are and how to write in those categories. I think learning about languages helps, too. Even if you aren't interested in learning a foreign language or a classic language like Latin, you can learn a bit about English grammar and about the sources and meanings of the words we use. It'll help you write better if you have a greater understanding of the building blocks of writing.

Anything you learn about any subject can be fodder for your writing. There is no reason you can't write an essay or a poem about some aspect of science or history or art or music. If you are studying another language, try writing in that language. See what you come up with.

So much to do, so little time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can be overwhelming just how much there is out there. My biggest problem is that I find more 'good stuff' out there than I have time for in relation to more vital priorities.

Mary A said...

Naiah, it would be entirely possible for me to spend all my time researching and never writing. Everything is just so interesting! Priorities are essential, I've found!