Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Short Story

If you would like to try your hand at writing short stories, here's some help for you. There is a 2-page pdf file called "How to Write a Short Story" that provides some basic how-tos. You can also take a look at "How to Write a Short Story" at wikiHow.

The Wikipedia has a lot of articles that can provide you with information and links also, such as this article on "Fiction" or this one on "Short Story".

Another article is "Writing a Great Short Story" by Lee Masterson. It's at the site Fiction Factor which I've mentioned before as having a number of useful articles.

Edited to add a link from the comments: "How to Write a Short Story" blog.

If you've never tried writing a short story or if you have and have not been too happy with the results, these articles might provide you with some good tips. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these links! There is also http://howtowriteashortstory.wordpress.com as another resource.

Happy writing!

Mary A said...

Thanks for the link! I put it in the body of my post. And thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by my short story blog and for including my link on your site. I appreciate it! Deborah

Mary A said...

Hi, Deborah! You're welcome. I would like to learn to write short stories--I like them, but have always found it hard to focus in on an incident or character or whatever in a shorter form.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I used the advice at the Nauvoo writer's forum that a person can start with a character first and build a plot around them and wrote 13 lines. A far cry from a short story, I know. I want to go to these links to learn more. Writing a short story will be on my to do list! :)

Mary A said...

Barb, I'm glad I'm put up these links--maybe they'll prove useful for you!