Friday, November 23, 2007

Learning about Literature

I find that knowing about literature helps me with my writing. I know, for example, to strive for unity in setting (time and place) and theme. I learn about ways to use symbolism. Studying literature also helps me to enjoy reading more.

One site that I have found that explains a lot of these things is John Lye's website. He is chair of the English department at Brock University in Canada. His page isn't just for his students--it contains a number of articles that you will find helpful, too. For example, one is "On the Uses of Studying Literature". In this article, Professor Lye offers a number of theses on ways to view literature, such as a source of wisdom. There are a number of other articles listed and he also has links to other sites. If you are interested in literature, you will find a lot to read!

I bring my own views to these sites that explain literature and literary theory. I don't, for example, buy into Marxist theory or feminist theory, but it is useful to have an overview of what's out there. What I am more interested in is something like Professor Lye's page for "Critical Reading: A Guide" which gives some explanations and some questions for a reader to use in understanding what he is reading more fully. For me, it's as interesting to read about literature as it is to read literature.

No comments: