Tuesday, January 1, 2008


William Drummond, of Hawthornden. 1585–1649

Change should breed Change

NEW doth the sun appear,

The mountains' snows decay,

Crown'd with frail flowers forth comes the baby year.

My soul, time posts away;

And thou yet in that frost

Which flower and fruit hath lost,

As if all here immortal were, dost stay.

For shame! thy powers awake,

Look to that Heaven which never night makes black,

And there at that immortal sun's bright rays,

Deck thee with flowers which fear not rage of days!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a poem that you have to think about! I like it! Is there a reason that it looks like an evergreen tree in the latter part of the poem?-Barb

Mary A said...

Barb, I'm sorry to say that it was just an accident that it looks like an evergreen tree. I centered the title and the computer centered the whole poem. I just left it that way because I liked it.

Anonymous said...

Cool accident!--Barb

Dan Olsen said...

Very nice poem.

Mary A said...

Wasn't it, though, Barb?!

Dan and Wendy, glad you liked the poem. Thanks for stopping by.