Saturday, May 3, 2008

Critical Thinking Can Help Your Writing

I found a website about critical thinking that you might want to check out. It's the Foundation for Critical Thinking. There are quite a few different pages, but I would suggest going to the articles index and starting your exploration there. What I like about this site especially is that it describes and defines what critical thinking is much more than any other site I've found.

There is quite a bit about teaching critical thinking, but also about learning it. A good introductory article is "Critical Thinking in Every Domain of Knowledge and Belief" and it has a couple of charts that let you know the kinds of topics the other articles will cover in more detail.

What I get out of this site is that clear, thorough thinking will help you in every area of your life. It is not necessary (or, in my view, desirable) to use critical thinking to talk yourself out of beliefs or religion or patriotism. What it is for is learning to be clear and understanding the purpose of what you are thinking about at the moment. Clarify your question and think through any answers to see what the consequences would be.

How does this help your writing? It helps you write more clearly, plot more realistically, and can help provide your characters with more believable actions and motives. I think as you read the articles, if you're interested, you will think of any number of ways critical thinking can help your writing, your reading, your studying and learning. See what you think! And let me know if you know of other sites of this nature that are clear and don't mind explaining things from the beginning for people like me!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am excited! -Barb

Mary A said...

Hi, Barb! I've really enjoyed reading those articles and getting an understanding of critical thinking. It's the most detailed site I've found and I find it very helpful.