Saturday, June 9, 2007

Information for Writers

At a site that I greatly enjoy, Fiction Factor, there is a page of writing articles sorted into categories. Beside articles to help you with your writing at all levels, they have articles on the business of writing which will help make you aware of all the things you need to keep in mind as you seek to sell your writing and become a published author.

As far as research goes, the entire internet is at your disposal. Although Wikipedia needs to be double-checked since anyone can post to it, it is still very useful for finding names and dates to look up elsewhere. There are science sites and history sites and you-name-it sites to research background for your stories. If you want to use a far-away setting, you can go to travel sites and geography sites for descriptions and pictures. This is a great blessing since most of us can't afford to travel somewhere just to consider using it as a setting. In addition, you can read about your own city/state/country and learn things that you never knew, which might trigger an excellent plot or provide a more exotic background that you thought possible from your own backyard.

Of course, you don't have to sell your writing. You can start a website or a blog and post to your heart's content!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, there is something that I want to tell you. I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

The above comment was not just because of all the great advice you give here and at your other blogs. It is because of who you are. I love many sisters in Zion. Yet, you are very special to me on a more personal level. We share a lot of interests though you may be more drawn to Medieval while I am more drawn to Revolutionary Era. I love your passion for writing!

Now, I gotta go to those great links!

Mary A said...

Thank you, barb!! I love you, too. I always look forward to your comments and insights and I think we are a lot alike. It's been great for me to connect with special friends over the internet--people I would otherwise not get to meet. Maybe we were twins in the pre-mortal existance!

Hope you enjoy the links!!!

Anonymous said...

What you said means a lot to me! It will be interesting to find out among our friends how many of us were close in Heaven before we were born. It is amazing the affinity I can feel for some sisters such as you!

Mary A said...

Barb, I think that when we pass through the veil after this life is over, that we will be surprised, but very happy to learn that people we connected with in this life were special friends to us before this life began. It's fun to think about that!!

Annette Lyon said...

Wikipedia certainly is a fun tool that I use often, but not something to lean on as an authority. Fun to discover another LDS writer in blogworld!

Mary A said...

Hi, Annette! It is great to discover more LDS writers online, isn't it?! I enjoy reading wikipedia, too, and it does at least give a person a starting point for confirming info if you need it for your writing or anything.

Thanks for stopping by!