Saturday, June 16, 2007

Literary Science and Nature Writing

I have been thinking lately about literary science and nature writing--how enjoyable it is to read and the possibility of writing in that genre. My inspiration was these posts by Patricia Karamesines at A Motley Vision blog.

I have found an online essay by Barry Lopez in which he discusses what nature writing is and something about its evolution. He mentions many books and authors, so his essay will also give you plenty of material to try out at the library. I don't necessarily agree with some of his statements, but overall it is a good essay and a thought-provoking one. His opening paragraph reads:

In recent years, partly because of a tendency in market-based economies to niche all information, but also in response to a relatively sudden awareness of the social and political impact environmental legislation and thought have had on American society, people have come to speak of nature writing as a distinct, even emergent genre. It is more accurate, most critics assert, to say we are witnessing a resurgence in the genre; and, setting it alongside other genres, it is arguably more helpful to see it as that strain of American literature that, more than others now, is pursuing the ancient discourse on human fate.
A later paragraph says:


The philosophical roots of this work, obviously, lie with Thoreau and Emerson, and the genre includes elements of misanthropy (often, in my view, exaggerated) in people like Edward Abbey, Robinson Jeffers, and Loren Eiseley. But, again, it is hazardous to try to maintain strict bounds. Certain writers frequently cited as nature writers bring with them an additional emphasis -- Wallace Stegner's citizenship, say, or Gary Nabhan's ethnobotany. John Muir, though central to any definition of nature writing, is also considered a focal political figure; Aldo Leopold, another pivotal figure, is not literary enough for some, while Thomas Merton is often regarded as peripheral because his writing is too "spiritual." (I would argue that Merton, more than any other contemporary prose writer, maintained the tradition of spirituality in American writing now thought to be integral to nature writing.) And, in any given critical article, we may learn that, say, Mary Austin, author of The Land of Little Rain (1903), like Susan Fenimore Cooper, author of Rural Hours (1850), has just been "rediscovered" as a nature writer.
It's an interesting essay for those who would like to learn a bit more about nature writing and have some examples of authors to explore.

Henry David Thoreau is probably the nature writer who leaps to everyone's mind when considering this category--I know I enjoy reading his writings. I haven't read a great deal of science and nature writing, but I did read some selections in my anthology classes in literature.

There are any number of ways to go about producing literary science and nature writing. One can emphasize facts or one can emphasize personal observation. One can write poetry, essays, or fiction. Some travel writing could fall into this category, as well. The genre interests me, though, so I will be sampling some various authors and styles and perhaps tackle some writing myself. Also, see my post here at Scholar and here at By Study and Also by Faith, my other blogs, for more on this topic.

8 comments:

◈lunaluna◈ said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Please, send me the photo of your computer desk.
I'll publish on my blog!.
And if you want I can link your blog on mine!

EMAIL: pcdesktop1@gmail.com

Mary A said...

Thank you, Frank. I'm afraid I don't have a digital camera to send a photo of my computer desk. I'm only partially up-to-date!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I'm happy to see someone contemplating taking up the literary nature and science writing torch. Too little of it is done. And some of what's done, IMO, exploits landscapes mercilessly. Good writers that open up narrative pathways exploring relation with all the facets of this world and with the nature of the infinite -- gosh, I'd love to see such language blossom as a (wild, not domesticated, hypertrophied, and water-lusting) rose in the current cultural desert. We have only the slightest idea yet of what's going on among other species and beyond the boundaries of this world. We need to turn our language out and see what it brings back. So go for it!

Mary A said...

Thank you, Patricia, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I have seriously been mulling the idea of writing in this genre, but I have some reading to do, too, to learn more about it and what's been done (and done to death) and where I might take it, or let it take me! Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I am not that descriptive in my abilities. Yet, I do find that I reach a new awareness of my surroundings if I think about what I would say if I were writing about the world around me. I do love to try to see the world through the lens of another's eyes. Sometimes I lack the ability to understand some of the vocabulary when describing things that I do not personally know. I may have seen it, but lack a word for it. I know that I may seem to have a decent vocabulary at times, but there really are a lot of things of the physical world that I probably lack words for while I do better with the abstract. Even in my house I will wonder what a word for something and ask sometimes. I also do not have a great visual memory and an ever worse mental map. I have seen some pretty vistas in my day. We have a lot of beauty right in our own yard too with so many flowers blooming now!

Mary A said...

I'll bet your flowers are beautiful, Barb! I miss my Mom's gorgeous flower gardens a lot.

I know what you mean about vocabulary. It seems like there are science and nature words (and not necessarily technical jargon) that I'm not familiar with and so I can't really picture what the writer means. I hope that I'll get better with the vocabulary as I read more nature writing and science writing. It's so interesting! Your vocabulary is good, but there are so many words out there!!!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I have another friend with a blog that is more about her life and her family. However, she had an entry on July 9 that was some of the best nature writing that I have seen. She is a pretty gifted writer so I should not have been surprised. Her name is Sara and it is at piebolar.blogspot.com. I have also seen Lisa M of Lisa's Ramblings do some great Nature Writing at times. I think I have seen her on you links so you know probably already know that.

Mary A said...

Barb, thanks for mentioning Sara's blog--I'm not familiar with it, but will check it out. I do visit Lisa's blog from time to time and enjoy her posts very much.