Saturday, February 23, 2008

Regarding A Literary History of the American West

In my previous post I provided a link to a wonderful book online titled A Literary History of the American West. I have been reading it a bit at a time and have completed the first section. While it is, of course, about books and literature, there are plenty of bits of history and folklore and Native American lore embedded in the essays that make up the chapters. You will enjoy it, whether your interest lies in books or history. In addition, there are a great many books of all kinds referred to, which will give you reading material to look for. I would suggest searching online first, since much of the older material could very well be found there. I haven't done that yet, although I already had some of these authors bookmarked.

The material covered in this book isn't just fiction and poetry--it's exploration, history, nature, settlement, and many other things. I recommend at least sampling it a bit to see if you find material that appeals to you. If you like it a lot, you can go here and download a pdf copy. All 1423 pages of it!

I've been enjoying it a great deal and think you will, too.

No comments: